Taken Goods for Private Use? Here’s the Latest Values.

The ATO knows that many business owners naturally help themselves to their trading stock and use it for their own purposes.

Taken goods for private use? Here’s the latest values.

This common practice can occur in businesses such as butchers, bakers, corner stores, cafes and more.

It regularly issues guidance for business owners on the value it expects will be allocated to goods taken from trading stock for private use. The table at right shows these values for the 2019-20 income year.

The basis for determining values is the latest Household Expenditure Survey results issued by the Australian Bureau of Statistics, adjusted for CPI movements for each category.

Note that the ATO recognises that greater or lesser values may be appropriate in particular cases, and where you are able to provide evidence of a lower value, this should be used.

Type of  business Amount ($) 

(ex GST) for adult/child

>16 years

Amount ($) 

(ex GST) for child 4-16 years

Bakery 1,350 675
Butcher 850 425
Restaurant/cafe (licensed) 4,640 1,750
Restaurant/cafe (unlicensed) 3,500 1,750
Caterer 3,790 1,895
Delicatessen 3,500 1,750
Fruiterer/ greengrocer 880 440
Takeaway food shop 3,440 1,720
Mixed business

(incl milk bar, general store, convenience store)

4,260 2,130


Related Resource:

TD 2020/1


This information has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. Because of this, you should, before acting on this information, consider its appropriateness, having regard to your objectives, financial situation or needs.

Leave a comment


The content of MNY Group Chartered Accountants' website - mnygroup.com.au is original. Please do not copy, modify, distribute, republish, share, display or demonstrate all or part of the information and materials on this website without our written consent. The contents and materials on the website are only for reference and are not official financial advice or suggestions. According to the different situations of each individual/entity, please consult a professional accountant.